RSBuild failure validating reporting service

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Nov 6, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I am trying to deploy multiple SSRS 2005 reports to different locations on my default reportserver.  I am testing by trying to get one report and one data source to the correct location.  This is my config file...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Settings>
 <Globals>
  <Global Name="ReportServer">localhost</Global>
  <Global Name="ReportServerPath">ReportServer</Global>
  <Global Name="CollapsedHeight">0.5in</Global>
 </Globals>
 <ReportServers>
  <ReportServer Name="RS1" Protocol="http" Host="${ReportServer}" Path="${ReportServerPath}" Timeout="0" />
 </ReportServers>
 <DataSources>
  <DataSource Name="ds1" Publish="true" Overwrite="false" TargetFolder=test/Data Sources" ReportServer="RS1">
   <ConnectionString>Data Source=myserver\myinstance;Initial Catalog=mydb</ConnectionString>
   <CredentialRetrieval>Integrated</CredentialRetrieval>
   <WindowsCredentials>False</WindowsCredentials>
   <UserName></UserName>
   <Password></Password>
  </DataSource>
 </DataSources>
 <Reports>
  <!-- Search Detail Reports -->
  <ReportGroup Name="test" DataSourceName="ds1" TargetFolder="test"
   ReportServer="RS1" CacheTime="10080">
   <Report Name="My Report">
    <FilePath>..\my report.rdl</FilePath>
   </Report>
  </ReportGroup>
 </Reports>
</Settings>

I get an unhandled exception while the app is trying to validate the reportserver.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Coordinator
Nov 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Are you running under Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008 or Windows 7? In that case you may have to run RSBuild with admin privileges. I need to verify whether service validation issues are reported properly, as I recently had a situation myself where this did not seem the case.

Regards,
Gerke.

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:31 PM

I am running it on a virtual Windows Server 2003 machine.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:25 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2010 at 9:10 PM

I am having a simliar problem under Windows Server 2003 x64 with SQL Server 2008 i get the following error at the server validation part.

Unhandled Exception: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Configur
ation system failed to initialize ---> System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsE
xception: Configuration file RSBuild.config does not have root <configuration> t
ag (D:\Rsbuild\New\RSBuild.config line 2)
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean ignor
eLocal)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey
)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.EnsureInit(String configKey
)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.PrepareClientConfigSystem(S
tring sectionName)
   at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.System.Configuration.Intern
al.IInternalConfigSystem.GetSection(String sectionName)
   at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sectionName)
   at System.Configuration.PrivilegedConfigurationManager.GetSection(String sect
ionName)
   at System.Diagnostics.DiagnosticsConfiguration.Initialize()
   at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeConfigSettings()
   at System.Diagnostics.Switch.InitializeWithStatus()
   at System.Diagnostics.Switch.get_SwitchSetting()
   at System.Diagnostics.BooleanSwitch.get_Enabled()
   at System.Xml.Serialization.RecursionLimiter..ctor()
   at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlReflectionImporter.IncludeTypes(ICustomAttribu
teProvider provider)
   at System.Web.Services.WebMethodReflector.IncludeTypes(LogicalMethodInfo meth
od, XmlReflectionImporter importer)
   at System.Web.Services.WebMethodReflector.IncludeTypes(LogicalMethodInfo[] me
thods, XmlReflectionImporter importer)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapClientType.GenerateXmlMappings(Type type
, ArrayList soapMethodList, String serviceNamespace, Boolean serviceDefaultIsEnc
oded, ArrayList mappings)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapClientType..ctor(Type type)
   at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol..ctor()
   at Microsoft.SqlServer.ReportingServices.ReportingService..ctor() in e:\Diabe
tesNed\vendorsrc\rsbuild\trunk\vendorsrc\trunk\src\RSBuild.Core\ReportingService
s\ReportingService.cs:line 18
   at RSBuild.WSWrapper2003.TryCreate(ReportServerInfo reportServer, IWSWrapper&
 result, Exception& exception) in e:\DiabetesNed\vendorsrc\rsbuild\trunk\vendors
rc\trunk\src\RSBuild.Core\WSWrapper2003.cs:line 26
   at RSBuild.PublishTask.Validate() in e:\DiabetesNed\vendorsrc\rsbuild\trunk\v
endorsrc\trunk\src\RSBuild.Core\Tasks\PublishTask.cs:line 57
   at RSBuild.Dispatcher.RunTasks() in e:\DiabetesNed\vendorsrc\rsbuild\trunk\ve
ndorsrc\trunk\src\RSBuild.Core\Dispatcher.cs:line 48
   at RSBuild.AppEntry.Main(String[] args)

I have looked through the source code but i can't seem to find the cause of the issue. The more curious thing is when i run it through visual studio it works, but if i run it on the server itself or with out visual studio attached to it i get the above error.

Oh Here is a copy of my config

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<Settings>
    <Globals>
        <Global Name="ReportServer">localhost</Global>
        <Global Name="ReportServerPath">ReportServer</Global>
        <Global Name="CollapsedHeight">0.5in</Global>
    </Globals>
    <ReportServers>
        <ReportServer Name="RS1" Protocol="http" Host="${ReportServer}" Path="${ReportServerPath}" Timeout="30" />
    </ReportServers>
    <DataSources>
        <DataSource Name="CmrArchive" Publish="true" Overwrite="false" TargetFolder="test" ReportServer="RS1">
            <ConnectionString>data source=localhost;initial catalog=cmrarchive</ConnectionString>
            <CredentialRetrieval>Store</CredentialRetrieval>
            <WindowsCredentials>False</WindowsCredentials>
            <UserName>*****</UserName>
            <Password>******</Password>
        </DataSource>
    </DataSources>
    <Reports>
        <!-- Search Detail Reports -->
        <ReportGroup Name="HQM AMI ChestPain" DataSourceName="CmrArchive" TargetFolder="test"
            ReportServer="RS1" CacheTime="10080">
            <Report Name="HQM AMI ChestPain">
                <FilePath>reports\HQM AMI ChestPain.rdl</FilePath>
            </Report>
        </ReportGroup>
    </Reports>
    <DBExecutions>
        <DBExecution DataSourceName="CmrArchive">
            <DBFilePath>SQL\Load\Search\Search.LOAD.sql</DBFilePath>
        </DBExecution>
     </DBExecutions>
</Settings>

Also i saw a post about the config file being named RSbuild.config to rename it to something like Rsbuild.exe.config but when i do that the application will no longer run.

Thanks in advanced!

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Going from the older version of rsbuild to the newer version i guess i should have read up on how to use the new version. I didn't realize that you can specify a config file in the rsbuild arguments which i happened upon in the code. After renaming it something that is not RsBuild.config or Rsbuild.exe.config, it work as advertised. It is always the simple things that get you. =)

Oct 6, 2010 at 1:14 PM

I am having issues with Windows 2008, SQL 2008R2, SSRS 2008. 

Here is an excerpt of the error response:  received '', expected text/xml.

Do we have a wrapper class for 2008 that is similar to 2003 and 2005 or ReportingServices2005 that will communicate with SSRS2008 successfully?